I've been working on a personal site that I've maintained since before I even got involved with Drupal. It's been iteratively migrated and upgraded from those early days on pmachine to its current iteration on Drupal 7. Obviously, I've been planning to upgrade it to the newest Drupal 8. All in all, this has gone pretty well, but as a big contributor to Layout Builder, I really wanted to use it on the site as much as possible. This hasn't gone anywhere close to how I would have liked. :-(
Kris Vanderwater's Blog
In my last blog, I talked a bunch about some of the basics of our development efforts around Acquia ContentHub 2.x. There's a lot more I'd like to discuss about that module and the efforts our team has put into it, but one of the comments I got on twitter specifically asked about the Drush commands we packaged with 2.x, how they're used, and what you can do with them, so in an effort to both continue discussing the good work of the team, and the capabilities of the product, I'm going to dedicate this blog to that topic.
So my blog's been offline for a while now. I think there was a security issue sometime around 8.2.2 because I just upgraded the public version of the site from 8.2.1 directly to 8.8.1. I actually did an upgrade to 8.8.0 alpha-something that I used to bootstrap the upgrade to 8.8.1, but public-facing the site made a pretty big jump. Some of this is due to laziness on my part, but a pretty significant portion of my disappearance has been due to a new (to this blog) position within Acquia.
I like things that work. I think most technicians do, but as a web developer I have a very serious problem. My most effective environment for doing web development is the one that exists on my own personal box. It can also be a rather impractical place to develop because most of my customers (current and historic) are on rather customized server stacks. Typically, the host has customized the environment to their own specifications. It's not uncommon to find additional services like solr or maybe a memcache server in the mix.
This blog was originally intended as a comment on Maxime's medium post. It got long, and I am loath to create content for mega-sites. As such, I responded with a post of my own, which is exactly what Maxime did to Robert Douglass' original Facebook post... I guess we all have our competing standards ;-)
If you've engaged me on topics outside the world of Drupal, it becomes apparent pretty quickly that I have some rather esoteric interests. Everything from molten salt reactors to Star Wars is pretty much on the table. Unfortunately, working either for clients or on Drupal itself take up the majority of my time that's not already dedicated to my family, so it is rare that I go out and actually participate in things in which I have an interest. For my 30th birthday, my amazing wife got me my first Skydiving jump.
Drupal 8 has been out for over a year at this point. I worked extensively on helping to improve portions of core during the Drupal 8 cycle, but maintaining your own site is radically different from trying to develop the platform that site(s) will reside upon. Upgrading my blog is especially exciting for me because I was still on Drupal 6. Getting to jump directly from Drupal 6 to Drupal 8 is a pretty big win and the fact that Drupal 8 supports this out of the box was amazing. Now granted this is just my blog, it's not even 100 nodes, but still...
It is with a mixture of bitter and sweet that I am officially announcing that I'm leaving Commerce Guys for a new position elsewhere. I have really enjoyed the last 3 (nearly 4) years at Commerce Guys. They have been an amazing place to grow both as a person and as a programmer. During my time there I've had the opportunity to work on numerous big projects and interesting technical challenges.
To say I've spent a lot of time working on Drupal 8 over the last 21 months would be a bit of an understatement. The Plugin System & the Blocks & Layouts Initiative have consumed much of my professional and personal time over that period, and we've worked on a lot of really awesome and interesting stuff. That being said, the vast vast majority of that work was still really "Drupal" and certain aspects of the underlying architecture that we were building on I didn't have the time to learn in detail.
In early February a gathering of developers came together in Acquia’s offices to decide the fate of the Drupal 8 initiative known as WSCCI (Web Services and Core Context Initiative).